Why use Drip Irrigation for Home Garden
Drip Irrigation is a type of micro irrigation system. It is generally used to conserve water and fertiliser usage in agriculture. This is done by release of water locally near the root area of the plant drop by drop.
Drip irrigation system delivers water to the crop using a network of mainlines, sub-mains and lateral lines with emission points spaced along their lengths. Each dripper/emitter, orifice supplies a measured, precisely controlled uniform application of water, nutrients, and other required growth substances directly into the root zone of the plant.
Water and nutrients enter the soil from the emitters, moving into the root zone of the plants through the combined forces of gravity and capillary. In this way, the plant’s withdrawal of moisture and nutrients are replenished almost immediately, ensuring that the plant never suffers from water stress, thus enhancing quality, its ability to achieve optimum growth and high yield.
Advantages of a Drip Irrigation System:
- Water Conservation up to 70%: The water is delivered directly to the root zones (dripping method) and hence water is wasted on other parts of the soil. It also avoids soil erosion. Hence the technique is eco-friendly.
- Optimum use of fertilizer : Here the nutrients or fertilizers supplied to the soil are used effectively. Drip irrigation reduces the runoff of the nutrients from soil, when huge water is supplied. There is no loss of nutrients.
- Can be automated : There is no need of supervision. The system supplies water to the plants automatically even when the users are not at home. It is helps to avoid over or under-watering.
- Inexpensive Technology and minimal manual involvement : The initial cost of the system is low. The set up process is easy and does not need plumbing experience.
- Healthier plants : Irrigation techniques using overhead method leads to leaves that stay wet for an increased period of time. This may lead to the formation of fungus, discoloring or spotting of leaves. Hence, this problem can be solved using drip irrigation.
Drip Irrigation can be implemented in two types for home garden
Perforated / Soaker Pipe Drip Method:
Perforated or Porous soaker pipes can be laid down in the garden nearing the plants. When connected to water source the pipe leaks drop by drop to the nearby area. This provides localised irrigation to the plants.
This type of irrigation has emitter valves at the end of each branch of the water tubes. Emitter valves or drippers dispense water drops at specific time interval. The supply of water can be controlled used variable valves.
Best Drip irrigation kits available online
A variety of drip irrigation kits are available online for our convenience. Let us discuss about them:
1. Trustbasket Drip Irrigation Kit
The Trustbasket Drip Irrigation Kit can be employed for 100 plants. It is designed to save up to 70% of the water(in irrigation systems) by using a precision watering system that delivers the right amount of water at the roots of the plants. The drip emitter head can be controlled by individually for each plant that makes the watering personalized. UV and chemical resistant, high quality drip hose are used.
The set up process is easy and no plumbing expertise is required. It is suitable in greenhouses, gardens, balconies etc. The water will reach the plants automatically when it is turned on. Other accessories are also provided along with the kit.
2. CINAGRO Plants Drip Irrigation Kit
CINAGRO Plants Drip Irrigation Kit can be employed for 120 plants. High quality ABS plastic is used, that is both UV and chemical resistant. The plastic is durable and does not get damaged easily. The feeder line pipe is flexible enough to deliver water to 120 plants.This irrigation kits also has a precise watering system and supplies the right amount of water.
This is a worry-less irrigation kit and it works even when the users are not at home. The initial set up process is easy and the required items are provided in the kit. There is no need of giving individual attention to plants where the irrigation kit automatically delivers the water it requires. It can be used in offices, plants that require smart care, bonsai and fruit plants, hotels etc. Labor and operation cost can be saved.
3. Techhark Drip Irrigation kit
Techhark Drip Irrigation kit employs self-watering spikes especially for potted plants in home gardens. The watering device is automatic and its speed can be adjusted using valve switch. The initial setup is easy, fill the water bottle with water and attach the plant waterer to it. Then fit the control valve into the plant waterer and make holes on the bottom of the bottle. Finally implant the plant waterer to the soil.
This kit is advantageous for people who go for vacations or official trips, and do not find time to take of plants. The waterer automatically delivers the water to the plants and also saves water. The water dripping speed should be carefully adjusted, so that it doesnt affect the plants. The spikes are made of high quality PP plastic and are chemical or heat resistant. It also helps in recycling water bottles. Thus, the kit is eco-friendly. The kit supports 1.1 inch water bottles only.